Cincinnati Public Schools will comply with Governor Mike DeWine’s mandate and will be closed for three weeks, beginning March 17, to mitigate the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). There are no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Cincinnati Public Schools.
Governor DeWine announced that all K-12 schools — including public, private and charter — will be closed until April 3.
"I know this situation is stressful," said Laura Mitchell, superintendent. "We recognize that this closure is a hardship for many of our families and I wanted to provide them with sufficient notification to make any adjustments."
Prior to the Governor's decision announced today, CPS had been working on a contingency plan in the event of such a mandate and is well-positioned to execute it, Mitchell said. On Friday, March 13, students will be taking home schoolwork packets prepared by teachers to keep them engaged in learning at home.
In addition, district officials are finalizing plans to ensure students that are eligible for free and reduced-price lunches have access to healthy meals during the three-week period. Parents are encouraged to continue to monitor the district’s website for more information and other updates.